Friday 16 January 2015

Pappa al pomodoro

This is seriously amazing. So amazing in fact that I had to give it a fancy name. It's actually just bread and tomato soup. Whats so amazing about this you might ask? It's cheap. Like crazy cheap. I can make 1 portion for $2.00! This recipe is the basic one but feel free to change it up. I probably eat this once every week to every fortnight.

Ingredients:

  • 1 can of diced tomatoes (only 80c at countdown).
  • Garlic - the ammount depends on how much you like garlic, for me I add 3 cloves. . .  but you can always just start with 1
  • 5 big leaves of Basil - I grow my own or use some that I've frozen in ice cubes. you could always use the basil that comes in a tube also. Don't use dried, trust me this isn't a time to use dried. 
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar 
  • Salt and Pepper.
  • A few slices of bread - I would recommend ciabatta or sourdough but when I'm poor, it's more likely going to be the $1 bread loaf from countdown. 
This can me made either in the microwave or on the stove top. I prefer the microwave because it's a zillion times faster. 

  1. Thinly slice the desired amount of garlic and place in bowel 
  2. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until the garlic is soft aromatic.  
  3. Add chopped tomatoes and microwave for 5 mins, while cooking chop basil and toast bread. The tomatoes are done when they have reached a porridgey  constancy. 
  4. Add salt, pepper, sugar and basil. 
  5. You can either eat it with the bread or chop the bread up and stir it in and eat it with a spoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment